Every year, I like to choose a theme that becomes my main focus for the year.
For example, last year my theme was “Don’t be an asshole”.
It helped me do things like:
- Develop new programs that I thought of developing for a long time (like Work Less, Earn More BETA and Write More Every Day BETA, which later evolved into The Lodge).
- Spread my message with more people by going on 20+ podcasts and summits throughout the summer
- Come up with and share more of my own original ideas and concepts, rather than just passing on the experiences I got from working with my business mentors
I felt like it was a good theme, though if I had done anything differently than last year I’d make sure I have a good weekly review system to help me stay focused on it.
This year, while going through my 20-minute annual review, I also thought about my theme for the year.
While it took me a while to decide on the theme last year, this time it came to me in an instant, and it was a no-brainer.
2019 would be the year of writing.
Table of Contents
Why The Year of Writing?
I decided to make writing (and sharing my ideas about writing) my main focus for the year because:
- Writing is one of the best ways to spread your ideas and leave a lasting legacy. We’re still reading books from tens, hundreds (or even thousands!) of years ago, and I want my work to be remembered and easily accessible for years to come. I also want my ideas to be accessible to anyone on the internet, regardless of where in the world they live.
- Writing is in my “Zone of Genius”. I’m not amazing at making YouTube videos, creating Instagram stories or writing short social media posts. But writing long articles and guides? That’s fun and enjoyable for me, and I feel like I’m pretty good at it as well.
- I have so many ideas that I need to share with you. Lately, my head has literally been exploding with ideas and concepts that I’ve developed through my online programs and experiments, as well as working with my coaching clients. These are ideas that I’ve seen few people talk about on the internet. Now that those ideas have been thoroughly tested, it’s time for them to become public.
I feel like writing is still one of the best ways to spread your ideas, whether it’s through blog posts or writing a book (which I’m excited to do in 2020).
So in 2019, you can expect A LOT of it.
What can you expect from me in 2019?
In 2019, I’ll be sharing:
- A lot of new content about writing: Through my 3-month writing experiment, we cracked the code to what helps entrepreneurs like you write more. I’ll share with you a lot of blog posts and guides about writing more, writing faster, building a sticky writing habit, creating better content, coming up with ideas what to write, creating a writing routine, outlining, editing, content strategy, and so much more!
- Different experiments that I’m running: I’ll also share some of my favorite ideas and experiments and just general things that excite me that aren’t directly related to writing (like the 20-minute annual review I shared with you recently). That’s because I want to connect with you on a more personal level and just talk about everyday stuff we all think about and run into.
- Access to my new writing membership: I’m in the trenches of developing my membership for entrepreneurs who want to write more, faster, better content. It’ll teach you all you need to know about writing, as well as create a community like no other for entrepreneurs, copywriters and writers to connect with each other and become better writers.
As you can see, a lot of my focus will be on writing, from writing myself, to talking about writing, to creating programs about writing.
It’s just something that I feel like is missing in the entrepreneurship world, and I’m excited to fill that gap.
How I’m writing tens of blog posts and guides this year
It’s one thing to say you’ll write. It’s another one to actually do it.
Last year, I wrote less than I wanted to, especially in the first half of the year, as I didn’t feel like I had the energy, focus and the mental space to do it.
I had coaching calls every day of the week which occupied a lot of my time and mental space, and I didn’t really know what I was writing about or had a deep purpose or excitement behind it.
This year, I feel like I have a REALLY good system set up for writing. Over the past week, I’ve written 3 blog posts (4 if you count this one) and created 2 very detailed PDFs that you’ll be getting access to soon.
The excitement of the New Year and the fact that I’m super recovered from my vacation probably has something to do with it, but I also know that I have a great system set up that will help me keep going.
Here’s how I’m writing tens of blog posts and guides this year:
- I created the time and space to write: I reorganized my schedule and freed up 3 days plus 2 mornings every week (with the exception of customer research weeks) to dedicate to writing. This means no coaching calls, no meetings, no errands, no coffee dates or lunches on those days. Just the time and space to write and create.
- I have a clear strategic focus in my writing: I’ll be focusing the majority of my writing on writing about writing (from coming up with ideas what to write, to going from an idea to a published post faster). I have a document with hundreds of things I could talk about related to writing already created from my writing experiment, so I’ll never run out of ideas what to write.
- I’ll go with the flow: To prevent myself from feeling “locked in” to a specific theme (which I know I hate), I’ll let myself go with the flow and write about the things I’m excited about on a daily basis (for example, today I really wanted to write this blog post, so I just let myself do it). This helps me have fun with writing and mix things up, so I’ll never be bored with writing.
I won’t say that my system is 100% bulletproof and I know that I’ll have days/weeks when I don’t write as much as want to, but I do know that I’ll write more than I ever did before.
Join me in The Year of Writing (and download my favorite writing tool)
If you want to write more this year so you can…
- Spread your ideas faster
- Attract more readers, e-mail subscribers and paying customers to your blog
- And leave a lasting legacy
Then I invite you to join me in The Year of Writing.
To get started, I’d like to gift you access to my favorite tool on writing that will instantly help you write more.
This is a tool that I use with my clients and myself to write thousands of words every week and to write more every day.
It’s called The Writing Tracker, and looks something like this:
The Writing Tracker will help you:
- Keep and organize all of your writing in one place
- Get automatic stats on how much you’ve written in a day / week / month / year, as well as how fast you write and more
- Gain counterintuitive insights that will help you write more (that you’re sure to miss otherwise)
You can download The Writing Tracker through the box below – just enter your name and e-mail and I’ll send it your way, together with video instructions on how to use it.
What about you? What is YOUR theme for 2019?
Download your free Writing Tracker!
With this writing tracker, you’ll be able to write more, faster, and better content than ever before (and it only takes a few minutes to set up!)