I just got an awesome email from one of my readers earlier today that I want to share with you guys (as it’s a GREAT example of the first email you can send to an influencer that you want to start building a relationship with).
The email’s subject line said “What I learned from your guide”, which immediately stands out from the other emails and makes me want to open it (of course I want to find out what one of my readers learned about my guide :)).
This is what the email said:
I loved the email so much that I immediately shared it with my Insider’s Club students, and it was so good that I wrote this email to share it with you as well.
Here’s what I loved about the email:
Table of Contents
- 1 1. It’s short, to the point, and really nicely formatted.
- 2 2. The reader shares very specific takeaways from my content.
- 3 3. She not only shares her takeaways, she says she’s already implementing them.
- 4 4. She doesn’t ask for anything in return.
- 5 What most people miss when writing an email like this (that prevents them from building lasting relationships with influencers)
- 6 The biggest mistake that people make is that after sending an email like this, they don’t continue to build the relationship.
1. It’s short, to the point, and really nicely formatted.
This email is the perfect length (about 10-15 lines of text). The formatting makes it ultra-easy to skim (there’s no long wall of text that is hard to read), which makes it a lot more likely for me to read through it.
I also love that the “headlines” in bold stand out (“The biggest takeaways I’ve got from your guide and started implementing already”, and “What I love about your emails and blog posts”).
Are those things that I want to learn more about? Absolutely! I want to learn how my content helps my readers (because this makes me feel like I’m making a difference in their lives), and I love hearing what my readers love about my content (because this makes it easy for me to create more content they’ll love).
Notice how this isn’t just another generic “your content is amazing, I loved it!” email (while I appreciate those emails, they are not really helpful or memorable).
The reader shares very specific takeaways from my guide and things that she loves about my writing, which makes it easy for me to create better content for my readers (for example, I can use more specific examples in my guides and emails).
This is what really makes this email stand out. Most of the emails that I get with specific takeaways from my content don’t mention the implementation, which at the end of the day is what matters most.
I love when my readers share their takeaways with me, but if they share how they implement them (or how they have already started implementing them), that stands out from all of the people that just consume materials but don’t do anything with them.
4. She doesn’t ask for anything in return.
A lot of the emails that I get ask for something. An introduction, a guest post opportunity, an affiliate partnership, answers to the questions…
While I used to respond to all of those emails in the past, nowadays I can’t respond to every single one, and say yes to every request, because some of them just might not be right for my business at the time.
The emails I do respond to with requests are usually the ones from the people I already know I can trust, because they’ve added value to me.
I love this email because it’s 100% a value add. There’s no ask. It really feels like the reader loves my content and wants to drop by and tell me how much she loved it, without wanting anything in return, which makes it even easier for me to respond to it.
What most people miss when writing an email like this (that prevents them from building lasting relationships with influencers)
Overall, I would give this email a 10/10. It’s perfect, and I wouldn’t change a thing about it.
It’s not the first email like this I got though, and with some of the people who sent me an email like this in the past I became friends. With most of them, I never really connected past the initial email though.
Writing an email like this is a great way to start building a relationship with someone you admire, no matter how much more successful than you they are.
Making the initial connection is just one part of building a lasting, authentic relationship though.
The biggest mistake that people make is that after sending an email like this, they don’t continue to build the relationship.
They go radio silent, and I might never hear from them again.
I could see that they have great intentions. I could see that they put in a lot of work and thought into the email. But if they don’t follow up with me in a few weeks, the email almost “goes to waste” as they’ll slowly drift away from my memory.
The solution? After sending an email like this, follow up!
For example, you could send another email 1-2 weeks later where you reference the last email and:
- Share how you implemented the advice, and the results you got with it.
- Ask a 1-sentence question that popped up to you while trying to implement the advice.
- Add more value by mentioning additional takeaways from another email that you receive from the influencer in the meanwhile.
Ok, enough talk. It’s time to take some action.
I challenge you to take the script below and send out an email to an influencer you admire (whose content you love) TODAY:
- [INTRODUCTION] Share 1-2 sentences about yourself (1-2 lines)
- [VALUE ADD] Share a headline and 1-3 bullets with key takeaways from a piece of content that you loved (3-4 lines)
- [VALUE ADD #2] Share another headline and 1-3 bullets with how you’re going to implement their advice, the results you already got from implementing their advice, or what you loved about the piece of content the most.
- [CONCLUSION] Add a quick thank you note at the end and avoid making any requests (1-2 lines).
The easiest way to do this is just to reply to the email that they use to send you their email newsletter. So go ahead, test out the email today (or even better, right now) :).
P.S. If you want to learn more about how to add value to influencers you admire and build genuine, lasting relationships with them, check out my FREE 84-page epic guide on adding value to influencers and surrounding yourself with more people like you.
Download your free guide